The new Pact/Bectu TV Drama Agreement came into effect on 1st January 2023 following a period of discussion sparked from Bectu submitting a request to review the previous agreement in May 2021. The original agreement dating back to 2017 lasted 5 years, whilst the new one has a term of 3 years and will provide some stability for the industry during a time of economic changes.
The agreement sets out terms and conditions and best working practices for those working in TV drama; aimed at improving work/life balance and altering the harmful long hours culture.
With the introduction of the new agreement, UK scripted TV producers need to know the new terms and conditions. The table below indicates the key comparisons between the 2017 agreement, and the new 2023 document.
Working day type
Introduced additional contracted hrs for select department to replace existing Prep and wrap time concept.
• SWD = 10 hrs + 1 hrs unpaid break • CWD = 9 hrs + no formal break • SCWD = 9:30 hrs + 00:30 hrs break
Shooting Day – Select Department
• SWD = 10 hrs + 1 hr unpaid break + 1 add cont. hr • CWD = 9 hrss + no formal break + 1 add cont. hr • SCWD = 9:30 + 00:30 hrs break + 1 add cont. hr
• SWD = 10 hrs + 1 hrs unpaid beak
CrewStart Feature: Checkbox feature has been introduced in the time report to manage the additional contracted hour feature which will add 1 hour of extra pay for required crew members.
Working day types with option to choose prep and wrap time.
Overtime & Penalty
• Introduced overtime & enhanced overtime by eliminating existing Camera and non-camera overtime.
• Overtime to calculate at 1.5 T of hourly rate
• Enhanced overtime to calculate at 2T of hourly rate
• Revised min overtime rate to 35 and maximum overtime rate to 70
• Overtime & penalty calculation to follow 15 min increment
• Introduced condition to calc. overtime rate beyond maximum cap of 70 if hourly rate is more than 70.
Camera & non-camera overtime calculated separately with Min 35 and max capping of 45.
Overtime multiplier at 1.5 T.
Overtime & penalties following 30min and hourly increment logic.
6th Day & 7th day rate
• Shooting day to be paid at 1.5T of daily rate
• Non-shooting day Less than 6 hrs = 1T of daily rate More than 6 hrs = 1.5 of daily rate
• 6th day on bank holiday = 2T of daily rate
• 7th day rate = 2 T of daily rate
• Overtime on 6th & 7th day to calc at 15 min increment
6th Day rate = 1T of daily rate
7th Day rate = 2T of daily rate
• Night work cut off revised to 23:00 instead 00:00 earlier
• Night work calculated at 15 min increment
• Night work paid at 1T over existing pay rate
Night work considered from midnight 00:00 onwards
CrewStart, Sargent-Disc’s onboarding platform, uses Pact/Bectu compatible timesheets. See the screenshot above where new ‘Working day type’ and Additional contracted hour’ fields are visible.
Contact the team at email@example.com for more information on how CrewStart can streamline your production’s onboarding processes.